One of Hudson’s earliest working farms was founded by Chauncey and Cleopatra Case. This c. 1831 Federal period farmhouse was one of the first brick homes west of Pittsburg. It is on the “Western Reserve” style with Greek Revival aspects of design.
The Cases, along with their 5 children and one milk cow tied to their two-horse covered wagon, left Granby, Connecticut in May 1814. Arriving in Hudson 6 weeks later, the family moved into a cabin across the street on Lot 17. It was made of logs, hewn outside and inside without chimney, doors, floors or windows.
The Cases a built a fireplace of cobble stones built up with clay mortar with an 8 foot hearth. The chimney was built of sticks and mud. A wooden crowbar provided a place to suspend a large iron hook to hold kettle for cooking. The puncheon floor was laid. Boards hung with wooden hinges created a door. The door was fastened with a wooden latch to which was attached a string that passing through a hole in the door, opened it from the outside. At night, the string was drawn in which locked the door. Holes were cut in the boards for windows, which were made to slide back and forth.
In August, Edward was born. Chauncey fashioned a wooden cradle in which 3 of the little ones could sit and rock the baby for the busy mother as they often did, singing the hymns she had taught them. Four more children were born in the log cabin.
In the late 1820’s, the family built a brickyard and kilns. The Cases sold brick to Western Reserve Academy and others, and constructed the brick farmhouse. A wooden addition was added later.
The Barlows donated the homestead to the First Congregational Church of Hudson in 1996. The farmhouse has been restored and furnished with period appropriate pieces and artifacts spearheaded by the three Hudson chapters of Questers, International.
Well-known decorator and antiques expert Nancy Kalin acted as advisor on the restoration of both parlors. She recommended the 1830's color scheme and supervised the restoration of the period mantelpiece. The portrait over the couch is that of Lora Case, who, as a young man, helped to make the bricks and plaster for this house. Lora was a close friend of abolitionist John Brown. In fact, the last letter written by John Brown before he was hung in 1859 for leading a slave revolt against the federal arsenal at Harper's Ferry was sent to Lora Case. Case lived until 1897. The ingrain carpet is a recreation of one found at the Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson near Nashville, Tennessee. Jackson was President in 1831 when the house was built. His silhouette, an antique Kellogg print, hangs over the tilt top table to the right of the fireplace. On the mantel are two reproduction face screens. Women of the 19th century held the screens in front of their faces when they sat in front of a warm fire, in order to protect their makeup, which contained wax. Under the table between the front windows and in the southwest corner of the room, notice the old license plates, used to cover holes in the floor. A farmer's family wasted nothing!
The light fixture is an authentic reproduction. The original doorway had a fanlight but was altered during the mid-19th century. The newel post on the stairway was also added in the mid 19th century.
The desk is called a plantation desk because it has separate cubbyholes for record keeping. Over the settee is a portrait of the home's last family owner, Donald Barlow. Mr. Barlow was a highly respected Hudson resident who operated one of the last working farms in Summit County. He left the house and property to the Hudson Congregational Church, who sold it a group of preservation-minded citizens.
This room is where the family would have congregated to read, write letters, weave and sew, play games and discuss topics concerning daily life on the farm. The c.1840 Ohio corner cupboard holds artifacts from the same period. The pair of black painted chairs flanking the red painted candle stand was donated from the David Hudson Estate. Three important family pieces in this room are the drop-leaf table, donated by Helen Barlow (Don’s second wife), and made from a black walnut tree that grew on her great-great grandfather Thompsons’ farm. Also, the child’s rocking chair painted blue over red and the little hand lantern were gifts from the Case and Barlow families.
The carpet in this room is an Axminster documented period reproduction laid wall to wall, as was the custom of the period. The 1860 cherry step-back cupboard is an Ohio piece filled with examples of serving dishes. Some of the earliest artifacts in the dining room are the Connecticut dishes, Seth Thomas clock, mahogany demi-lune table and the reverse painted mirror showing a steam ship on the Ohio River are all original and form the 1830’s. The walnut table and six grain painted chairs with cane seats were acquainted with grants fro Questers and the Hudson League for Service. Notice the candlesticks are from a girandole set having a brass bear and beehive motif and coffin cut prisms. Also display is a pair of Pittsburg Glass flint candlesticks c.1840.
Kitchen & Pantry
Our kitchen was inspired by writings from Franklin Barlow’s Book “Reminiscences of a Hudson, Ohio Farm Boy”. In the early twentieth century, he recalls hot water coming from the reservoir on the side of the wood-burning stove to take a Saturday night bath near the heat. Buckwheat flour was stored in the pantry; then made into pancakes each morning to serve the family and farm hands that bunked upstairs. Kerosene lights were still being used at that time. Please notice all of the other turn of the century kitchenware: the icebox, scrub top table, butter churn and red hanging corner cupboard.
The water supply for the house was from a pump on the back porch near the cistern. Here you see the stone sink that was originally used by the family and farm hands on the back porch before they came into the house for meals. The sink was found at a dealer in architectural salvage that had purchased it at the Don Barlow Auction many years ago. Thankfully, it was found and returned to the farm and placed in the mudroom.
Hired Hands Room
The room is modestly furnished as the residence of Clayton Eugene Woodworth. Mr. Woodworth was born in 1888 in Windham, Ohio and began working at the farm shortly before World War I. He rarely left the farm except when he was drafted during the war. He served in the army for more than a year. Afterward, he remained at the farm for the rest of his life and died there in 1973. Letters and other documents from his lifetime are displayed on the desk.
The child's room is decorated for the era 1865-1915. Until the late Victorian era, children's rooms were not decorated and filled with toys. When families had more time and money due to the Industrial Revolution, they began to set aside rooms filled with childhood treasures. The child's room at the Farm has a bed with a trundle underneath to accommodate several children. The blue and white quilt is from the same era, as is the red comforter, patterned with motifs from the Columbian Exposition of 1892. (James Ellsworth was the guiding force behind the event.) The schoolroom desk holds a collection of McGuffy Readers. The perambulator dates from the 1860's, as does the china head doll. Beside it is a Victorian cradle that, when wound, rocks a baby automatically. Children's clothing hangs from pegs, ands atop the shelf, there stands Kate Greenaway plate and a children's brown transfer tea set. The pictures on the walls are typical of those to be found in nurseries of the period.
The Sheraton field bed with tester has inverted cup leaf and rope carvings on the post and is the main focus of this bedroom. Reproduction bed curtains, period monogrammed sheets and pillowcase and a dark blue coverlet complete this rope bed. This coverlet is on loan from the LePelley family, whose great grandmother dyed wove it in 1849. Other significant 19th century artifacts include: Argand-Burner oil with pitcher and basin, N. H candle stand beside the bed with a cobalt fluloop candlestick. As each Case child arrived, the baby would have spent some time in the cradle near mother.
Brick Walk Ways
A mix of old and new brick have been used to make walkways between the farmhouse and the driveway, from the farmhouse to the garden and from the side porch to the front of the house. More than 350 linear feet of bricks have been laid in wide paths that will allow for easy access for everyone regardless of the weather.
The old bricks used for the walkways have been donated to the farm over the past years by several individuals and organizations. Decades ago, Don Barlow, salvaged large sandstone slabs once used as sidewalks in downtown Hudson. The sandstone slabs have found a new life at the farmhouse front door as a stoop and front walkway leading out to Barlow Road.
New bricks were contributed by individuals or groups who want to have a commemorative inscribed brick. These special bricks are interspersed along the walkways.